Comedian Alex Hooper at Healthy Rhythm in Montrose
Mark Twain said humor is mankind's greatest blessing, and he knew a thing or two about what’s funny. Comedian Alex Hooper will be blessing Montrose with his witticisms next month.
Alex Hooper is fairly well known for his two stints on America’s Got Talent. Back in 2018 he took the opportunity to insult Tyra Banks, Howie Mandell, former Spice Girl Mel B, Heidi Klum, and Simon Cowell. He was eliminated. But the performance went viral with millions of views and he was invited back two seasons later where he did some more roasting.
Hooper, like any comedian who actually makes a living from his craft, has worked hard to get to this point. A regular on the comedy circuit in Los Angeles, he also tours the country and has worked internationally. And he knows just who to thank for his career path: “When I was 23 my friend Dale pushed me into standup. I did one show and knew that it was the feeling I had been chasing my entire life.”
Hooper is eccentric, bringing dark humor and positivity together on stage, and that comes partly from his influences. “I grew up watching silly comedies. Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley were all major influences for me,” he says. As for who inspires him today, Hooper says there are quite a few. “I'm fortunate to have worked with, and to have become friends with, some of the funniest people in the world. Some of my absolute faves are Kyle Kinane, Rory Scovel, Ali Wong, Maria Bamford, and Dave Chappelle. Jeff Ross has been an incredible mentor for me over the past few years. He pushed me to go beyond myself and discover the beautiful weirdo that was lurking in the shadows.”
As for what to expect, Hooper deals in everything except politics. “I love mixing dark themes with notes of silliness. My comedy is intended to break you out of your reality and have a glimpse into my world,” he says. “While I'm on stage, my goal is that you completely forget about your problems. Let go and laugh. You've earned it.”
Alex Hooper will be bringing his energetic brand of comedy to Healthy Rhythm in Montrose on Sept. 25 at 7.30pm. Visit healthyrhythm.net to buy tickets.
Five Facts about Alex Hooper
1. Alex has two adopted pugs named Carlton and Kimchi. One is from Mexico and the other is from Korea. Guess which one is from where?
2. I am a high school dropout who weaseled my way into a $40K college scholarship. I won't tell you how, but let's just say I'm good at talking my way into things.
3. I am a slackliner. MY record for staying on my line without falling off is 3 hrs and 5 mins. I'm currently learning how to highline.
4. I was once called to the stage and roasted by Steve Martin and Martin Short in front of a thousand people. It was every bit as magical as it sounds.
5. I'm a firm believer in positivity and optimism. I wrote a self-help book called “Roast Yourself to Happiness,” which teaches you how to write jokes about yourself to take away the judgment from others.